Top Favorite Non-Christmas Christmas Movies

 Yes, it's been months between posts. This semester of teaching was busier than I anticipated-- higher number of students, back to pre-Covid academic expectations, and general fatigue have kept me from blogging. Hoping to pick back up in the future.

In the meantime, I know everyone is posting about their favorite Christmas movies. But what about those non-Christmas Christmas movies? Do you have movies you watch around the holidays even though they don't have any direct tie to Christmas? If not, here's a list to consider!


1) Little Women (1994). It does feature two pivotal Christmas scenes but it's not generally considered a Christmas movie. However, I highly recommend you cozy up in a blanket and watch the March sisters make their way through the world!


2) Sunset Boulevard (1950). This one is on the list because my brother and I used to watch it on Christmas Eve together-- still unclear as to the why. That said-- it's an iconic movie. Norma Desmond, faded silent screen star, is positively riveting. 


3) The Fellowship of the Ring (2001). This film just turned 20 years old! It was released in December so maybe that's why I associate it with Christmas. It's my favorite of the Lord of the Rings trilogy (one could make a case for watching all 3 movies this holiday season...)


4) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993). This classic does feature Christmas as a central element to its plot but I have yet to find anyone who agrees with me that it is a Christmas movie. 


5) Fargo (1996). Okay, this one might feel like a stretch due to the violence but it's a classic Coen brothers movie and (I think) one of their greatest! If you haven't seen the tv show, I highly recommend. There's something about those iconic accents...


I'm keeping it brief and hope to be back with more creative posts in the future. If anyone is actually reading, hello! and thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts