She Walks in Beauty

 I'm not going to hem and haw over my prolonged absence. Especially since I never had a strong readership to begin with! This blog (like my old ones from high school and college) is more for my own amusement and edification. 

I recently purchased a cheap copy of The Laura Ashley Book of Home Decorating. It's a book that has been on my informal wishlist, along with books by Tasha Tudor. This book is full of the well-known, typical  Laura Ashley home design-- florals and prints galore, fabric on ceilings, candles and plates stacked to the max on every table. The latter part of the book is full of instructions on how to achieve these marvels-- from sewing curtains, to upholstery techniques, to repairing furniture-- the Laura Ashley home decorator is also apparently a knowledgeable and hardworking homeowner!

Here are some of my favorite images (honestly, it was hard to choose!)








The Laura Ashley home is one in which you read, arrange flowers, host dinner parties, and go for long walks on the moors. The tranquility of these photos reminds me of Byron's "She Walks in Beauty" and so I will leave you with his words as well the video for Marianne Faithfull's recent collaboration with Warren Ellis.

She walks in beauty, like the night 
Of cloudless climes and starry skies; 
And all that’s best of dark and bright 
Meet in her aspect and her eyes; 
Thus mellowed to that tender light 
Which heaven to gaudy day denies. 

One shade the more, one ray the less, 
Had half impaired the nameless grace 
Which waves in every raven tress, 
Or softly lightens o’er her face; 
Where thoughts serenely sweet express, 
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place. 

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow, 
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent, 
The smiles that win, the tints that glow, 
But tell of days in goodness spent, 
A mind at peace with all below, 
A heart whose love is innocent!




Comments

Popular Posts